Natural and organic cosmetics
Ecocert was the very first certification body to develop standards for "natural and organic cosmetics".
Introduced in 2003, the specification was drawn up in conjunction with all stakeholders in the value chain, i.e. experts, suppliers, manufacturers, distributors, consumers and development organisations.
Ecocert currently supports and guides more than 1,000 companies through their certification processes.
The basic principles of the Ecocert standard
To ensure an environmentally friendly cosmetic product, the Ecocert standard lays down:
1. The use of ingredients derived from renewable resources, manufactured by environmentally friendly processes. Ecocert therefore checks:
- The absence of GMO, parabens, phenoxyethanol, nanoparticles, silicon, PEG, synthetic perfumes and dyes, animal-derived ingredients (unless naturally produced by them: milk, honey, etc.).
- The biodegradable or recyclable nature of packaging.
2. A minimum threshold of natural ingredients from organic farming to be reached to obtain certification:
- For both labels, Ecocert Standard imposes that a minimum of 95% of the total ingredients come from natural origin.
- For the natural and organic cosmetic label:
A minimum of 95% of all plant-based ingredients in the formula and a minimum of 10% of all ingredients by weight must come from organic farming.
- For the natural cosmetic label:
A minimum of 50% of all plant-based ingredients in the formula and a minimum of 5% of all ingredients by weight must come from organic farming.
/!\: Some ingredients very frequently found in cosmetics (water, salts, minerals) cannot be certified as organic because they are not sourced from farming. For example, shampoos and some creams, mostly composed of water, contain between 10% and 40% organic ingredients, and always 95% natural ingredients. An essential oil, which does not contain water, can be up to 100% organic ingredients.
3. On site audit is performed by an Ecocert auditor.
Consult the documents dedicated to your sector:
Ecocert Greenlife SAS, Cosmetic Department
If you wish to apply for the certification of your products, please fill in our contact form, call our customer service at + 33 (0) 5 62 07 51 07 or send us an email: email@example.com
For any other requests, please call +33 (0) 5 62 07 51 09 or send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org